Protective Stadium is a multi-use 45,000 seat capacity facility that serves as the home stadium for the UAB Blazers, Birmingham Legion FC, and the United States Football League. The stadium also hosts other athletic events and concerts. To assist with the stadium development, the Birmingham-Jefferson Convention Complex (BJCC) hired Sain Associates to complete a traffic and parking study, which included the following primary tasks:
- Performed peak hour capacity analysis to evaluate the effects of road closures required for stadium construction.
- Obtained and reviewed information from comparable sites to aid in predicting arrival and departure habits of event attendees.
- Performed a parking assessment by analyzing existing parking inventory within a 15-minute walking radius, estimating future parking demand, and identifying potential future off-site parking locations.
- Performed parking utilization studies and conducted a survey at Regions Field during a Birmingham Barons game to estimate vehicle occupancy rates and transportation modal splits.
- Developed recommendations for an event traffic handling plan, including traffic safety measures that would help provide a safer transportation network for vehicles and pedestrians around the stadium.