Jeff Stephenson, P.E., is the Team Leader of [...]
By: Jim Meads, P.E.
I am extremely honored to serve as President of the American Council of Engineering Companies of Alabama for the 2018/2019 fiscal year. ACEC is the voice of the engineering profession in Alabama. I am looking forward to an exciting year working alongside our Executive Director, Ms. Renée Casillas, and a fantastic Board of firm principals from across the state.
Through years of involvement in ACEC, I’ve learned a lot about the importance of advocacy in our profession, expanded my knowledge of business practices, and have been blessed to make great friends while working alongside other firm principals to protect and promote the business interests of our great profession.
Just this past year, ACEC National and Alabama have done a great deal to advocate for member firms and help improve their bottom line. Our national advocacy helped secure a new 20% tax deduction for A/E pass through firms in the 2017 tax reform law. ACEC Alabama played a key role in advocating for Senate Bill 316 which conformed Qualification Based Selection (QBS) for engineering and land surveying work.
A few of the major items we hope to accomplish this year include:
- Advocacy for increased infrastructure funding in Alabama. We will work closely with the Alliance for Alabama’s Infrastructure (AAI) and other industry partners to address this critical need.
- Increase membership engagement through:
- Committee involvement
- Participating in the Leadership Development Program
- Involvement in fundraising activities and the Engineering Awards Gala
- Grow the number of member firms by 4%
If you’ve been sitting on the sidelines, join us on the playing field and help us make a difference in our industry. One of the best ways to get involved is to plug into one of over 12 committees, including a few new ones this year. We have many challenges ahead of us but are blessed with great people and leadership.