Charles Cochran, a Project Manager on the Traffic [...]
By: Joe Meads, Principal/Owner
2017 was a tremendous year on many fronts for Sain Associates. The most important item for the year was adding Becky White and Vann Rutledge as shareholders. We also celebrated our 45th year of business in Birmingham as well as our 20th year for our Pulaski, TN location. Other highlights included:
- Our staff size grew about 10%.
- We had positive growth in revenues.
- The Tennessee Department of Transportation received a National Roadway Safety Award for a project we assisted with.
- The Sain Leadership Team completed Finding The Lost Dollars Training.
- We gave the first annual Spirit of Lauren Award to Justin Watson.
- We received a State Award from ACEC for the Kamtek K-3 Project.
- Sain staff exceeded our goal of raising $4000 for the American Heart Association Heartwalk.
- Justin Watson from our TN office and Tony Montanaro from our Birmingham location became licensed Professional Engineers.
In 2017 we continued to expand our work for municipalities and counties including cities of Birmingham, Prattville, Mountain Brook, Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Trussville, Irondale, Huntsville, and Phenix City along with the counties of Jefferson, Shelby, St. Clair, Elmore, and Calhoun. We have continued to diversify and grow our Transportation Design and Planning services.
The Industrial/Economic Development market continued to be a bright spot for us in 2017. We had the privilege of continuing our working relationships with Kamtek, Southeast Freight, Gestamp, New Flyer in Anniston, and transportation infrastructure at Prattville South Industrial Park.
While we are optimistic heading into 2018, one of the biggest challenges for our industry going forward is the need for our state and federal funding to support infrastructure. My brother Jim and I are pleased to represent ACEC and ASCE on several Alabama Transportation Infrastructure Study work groups led by the University of Alabama Transportation Institute and the Alabama Legislature. We are hopeful that this will lead to long-term solutions to address infrastructure needs in Alabama.
Sain has been very blessed with great friendships among our clients and throughout our industry. We are very excited to begin a new year on the momentum of our successes in 2017!